Notes from PA on Day 6 and moving forward

To all those reading this...

There are not words for what the past few days has brought.  On Day 6 of our trip, we had an amazing day for the crew that worked at Adullam.  We started the day by finishing up projects.  Then we had an experience called "hearing God".  At first the students just sat and listened to what God might be telling them.  They meditated on the questions "what does God think of me?"   and "What does God want me to know about Him?"  After they prayed on those questions, they came back into large group and shared.  Then, after some discussion, they split into two groups.  The first group spread out all over the room and closed their eyes.  The second group then went up to any individual from the first group that they wanted to, and tapped that person on the shoulder.  Without opening their eyes, the first one would pray for guidance, listen for a while, and then share what they saw.  Sometimes it made sense, sometimes it didn't.  For example, one of our kids shared that they saw a tree and they didn't know why.  Another saw a basketball and shared that with someone who had been wondering about their future.  It was a challenging and powerful experience about listening to God and not filtering what we say when we pray for those we don't know well.  It not only stretched the kids, but it stretched this pastor as well!

After "Hearing God" we had lunch, and then came what was for me, the most meaningful part of this trip.  We went downstairs and worked in Katie's closet, which, as the kids told you is a place where you can come and get donations of household goods, clothing, etc for free.  The line for those coming to get stuff was all the way down the block, and we were charged with the job of helping individuals carry stuff to their car, as well as talking with and praying with people if we felt so called to do so.  At first it was kind of a mad rush in the building, so I helped for a bit, and then went outside to see what was happening out there.  While I was out there, I was talking to a woman who lived only a few houses from Adullam.  She shared with me how she was scared to go out into the neighborhood, and how just across from her house there had been a shooting recently.  She talked with me about how she had chosen to leave Milwaukee because she was tired of living in fear.  She would be moving that next month.  But with tears in her eyes, she talked about taking the county bus and occasionally coming back to Adullam and seeing everyone on Thursdays.  She talked about how she would miss these people and how they had become family.  It was a moving experience.  After a bit, I wandered back into Katie's closet.  Some women were talking, one standing, another sitting on a donated chair.  I'm not sure what drew me to her, but I went and sat right next to her on the dirty creosol floor.   As I asked some basic get to know you questions, this amazingly strong, beautiful woman started to tell me how she was tired because she had spent all of last night at the hospital.  She had been visiting James Lee (all his first name), a young man who was shot when someone attempted to rob his car while he was pumping gas.  She talked about how James' mother is ill, and was so stressed after the shooting that she had to be hospitalized for throwing up blood. She talked about how her aunt is dying of cancer.  She talked and talked and talked, this woman, who didn't know me from Adam.  And it got me thinking...how often do we wait for the answer when we ask someone how they are?  Often in North Dakota we ask "how are you" as we keep walking on our way, not really waiting for the answer....just waiting for the typical "I'm fine" or "Good".   But what if we were to sit down and really talk with people?  What if we were to listen to the response.  What if, before we even asked, we sat down and just listened to whatever they had to say??

I will most likely never see that woman again. I will most likely never know how James Lee fairs, or if he heals or not. But I know that my life is forever changed by these women who trusted me enough to be real.  Even though I wasn't their close friend.  Even though they didn't even know my name.  What they knew, is that I had just spent 5 days with them...getting my hands dirty...opening my eyes to the scary, violent world that they live in.  As I head back to my comfortable house and my safe little town, I will look at it with different eyes.  And I will be praying.  Praying for James Lee.  Praying for Adullam Outreach Center.  Praying for this place to be a place where Jesus is stronger than violence, and all people are heard for who they are.

Tomorrow we will begin the journey home.  But when we leave, I can promise you, we leave a part of our hearts here in Milwaukee.  Changed, for the better, with eyes wide open and hearts challenged to make a difference in the world.

Good night for now, and God bless each one of you,
Pastor Amy

Comments

Popular Posts