Home again...

We've been back two days, and as I look back over our 9 days together, I can do nothing, but be thankful.  For all those who helped make the trip possible.  For all those who prayed for our safety, for all those who offered encouragement along the way.  

I write from a bone tired body, but a refreshed spirit.  I cannot even begin to tell the stories that these kids have...of God at work through them, of God at work to them, of God changing their hearts and their lives forever.  I wish you who are reading this could have gotten a glimpse of how amazing God was in our lives on this trip.  That you could have seen the relationships that were restored, that you could have seen God calling our kids and adults to do more, to be more, to be still, to listen.  

I wish that you could have been in the corner watching as our kids prayed for each other and lifted each other up to our awesome God for over an hour on the last night.  That you could have seen how hard they worked, that you could have seen them give their very last drop of energy for someone they didn't know before 9 days ago, and someone they may never see again.

I hope you find time to talk to our kids that went on this trip.  To begin to hear their stories.  I hope those of you who live close enough can join us for Youth Sunday on August 30 at 10 am or for the Shareholder's Dinner later that evening.  I hope you can get a glimpse of lives changed forever.

These last 9 days there were smiling faces, there were tears shed, there were memories made that will last a lifetime.  And it is because of you that we were able to go.  Thank you.  From the bottom of all of our hearts.  

I have been doing youth ministry for 20 years now, and this trip takes the number one spot.  It was a trip that I will never forget, and even if I never get to go on a trip like this again in my ministry career, I will be thankful and think back to God at work in our hands, feet, and words in Milwaukee this summer.

Late spring this year, I hung a Bible Passage on my old computer.  I looked at it today, and realized that it, more than any words, can explain my thoughts about Milwaukee.  It says this:

"Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?  It is not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover them, and not to hide yourself from your own kin?

Then shall your light break forth like the dawn....Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry for help, and he will say, 'here I am.'...The Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your needs in parched places, and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters never fail.  Your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to live in." -Isaiah 58:6-12 (selected verses)

Our kids...your kids, have made a difference in Milwaukee.  Your kids have been given gifts to share not only in Milwaukee, but back here at home as well.  So the next time you see these amazing youth, encourage them.  Thank them for serving.  And then challenge them...to keep on doing God's work through their hands.  

Christ is shining...he shined in Milwaukee, and he is shining here in Thompson.  Let's all listen to God's call to love each one of God's children, and let us answer His call to serve all people in grace and love.

Your sister on the journey,
Pastor Amy




Comments

Popular Posts